What is a Sinus Lift?
There are times when a sinus augmentation, also known as a sinus lift, is recommended to allow space for an implant to be placed. This procedure adds additional bone to your upper jaw along your premolars and molars. To make room for the bone, the sinus must be carefully lifted or moved upwards.
Purpose of Sinus Lift
There are several reasons your doctor may recommend a sinus lift. Some of those reasons include:
- Your jaw bone has previously been damaged, for example from trauma or a difficult extraction;
- A cyst or tumor has been removed from the area;
- You have suffered bone loss as a result of periodontitis;
- Your bone has receded because of tooth loss (the socket can lose 40-60% of its bone structure within the first three years);
- You naturally have a large sinus cavity or thin jaw bone.
Our doctors are available to answer any questions you may have in regards to your recommended oral surgery. Call our office for a free consultation or a second opinion at (888) 707-0222.